Humans have always been compelled to interact with the world around them. Rather than just admire these surroundings, we are driven with a desire to run, climb, and reach as far as we can. In this week’s selection of 2018 SkyPixel Contest entries, witness the different ways that we move with the world.
1. The Origin of Human Skiing – Xinjiang | Equipment: Inspire 2
Photographer: Old van
Old van and his friend fly through the air while carving fresh paths into the side of a snow-covered mountain in Xinjiang.
2. Grow Up in The Mountain | Equipment: Phantom 4 Pro
Enjoy gorgeous views from above as a pair of professional mountain bikers climb ascents, cross switchbacks, and ride along a cliff’s edge with ease.
3. Lone Shadow | Pierre Real | Equipment: Phantom 3 4K
Photographer: Fabian Mct
Pierre Real braves the bitter cold, rolling, sliding, and catching air above a new layer of snow on the trails of Singletracks Bike Park in France.
4. Mountain Skating | Equipment: Mavic Air
The traditions of Ancient China and the thrill of freestyle slalom skating coalesce in a video of spectacular views and incredible skill.
5. Grand Traverse on Ice | Equipment: Inspire 1 Pro
Photographer: Mark Goethel
In January, waterways across Michigan are entirely frozen, allowing people to fly across them on ice skates, pushing the limits of their speed and precision.
6. Ice Climbing | Equipment: Inspire 2
Even rushing waterfalls can’t escape the winter. Once encased in ice, climbers use sharp tools to grab hold and ascend these frozen towers.
7. SUNSET – SUNLINE – Stand Up Paddle Surfing | Equipment: Phantom 4
Photographer: Saiki Creative Works
On the right tide, the shores of Japan are lined with surfboards from sunrise to sunset. Siki Creative Works captures the zen of standup paddle surfing.
8. Cervinia MTB Experience, Italy | Equipment: Mavic Pro
Italy’s legendary Matterhorn provides thrills, whether or not the ground is covered in snow. Among the pristine lake and picturesque mountain passes, mountain bikers navigate their way through the endless landscape.
9. A Sailing Rocket | Equipment: Phantom 4 Pro
Photographer: Federico Benini Floriani
Through a passion for sailboat racing, Federico is able to experience his home country of Italy in a unique, adventurous way. Aboard his carbon fiber vessel, he zips across the sea at dizzying speeds.
10. Ski Trip 2018 #Sybelles France | Equipment: Phantom 3 Advanced
Photographer: Dean Virant
Dean and his friends spent the past winter skiing and snowboarding in Les Sybelles, France. With open slopes as far as the eye could see, all they needed was a few days to create epic memories for a lifetime.