Whether it’s the mobility and acrobatic skills of the DJI FPV, or the steady 5.4K of the DJI Air 2S, drones like DJI FPV and DJI Air 2S empower filmmakers to create shots that can amaze their audience.
With that in mind, we thought we’d put together a quick guide on how to film “impossible-style” shots to amaze your audience – no matter what drone you own. Check out the bottom of this guide for a chance to win a new DJI FPV.
How to follow your subject like a pro
Plan your route:
Walking through your route in advance will help not only with seeing which obstacles you’ll need to work to avoid, but it’ll also make it clear which line you need to follow to capture the shot from the best possible angle
Adjust your camera angle:
With a drone like the DJI FPV, your camera angle has a direct impact on the speed and aggressiveness of the drone. Choosing the right gimbal angle is key for getting the right shot and the right vibe.
0-10 degrees – slow-flying
11-20 degrees – fast flying
21-45 degrees – extreme flying.
Not using a DJI FPV drone? Not to worry, with intelligent flight modes such as ActiveTrack, DJI drones like the DJI Air 2S are capable of automatically following your subject – leaving you able to focus on enjoying the action while it happens.
How to create a cinematic one-shot
View this post on Instagram
One of the most impressive kinds of shots is the one-takes that take the viewer on a journey through the scene but,
It’s all in the planning:
Before taking off, you may want to plan it all out. From the route you’ll take, to setting up actors, to working out what angle your gimbal needs to be at to capture the moment best – spending some time in the planning phase will definitely save time and energy once your drone is powered on.
How to thread the needle and fly through tight spaces
When it comes to flying through tight spaces with your drone, practice definitely makes perfect, but there are some quick tips we can share to make it all easier.
Use Propeller Guards:
If you’re planning on flying indoors, chances are that you’ll be passing through some tight spaces. Make sure that you protect your propellers by fixing prop guards to your drone before you take off.
Stand in a straight line of sight with your drone.
On top of being critical to all flight, this is especially so when flying through tight spaces as it allows you to line your drone up with the gap and fly in a straight line.
Know how to fly backward：
Sometimes, you’ll be in front of your drone rather than behind it, meaning that your controls would be reversed. Being able to know instinctively whether to pull left or right when flying through a gap could be the difference between success and failure.
For more tips on how to fly in tight spaces, check out this full guide: Flying in Tight Spaces
The DJI Impossible Shot Challenge
Feeling inspired? Then take part in our DJI Impossible Shot Challenge for a chance to win a DJI FPV.
All you have to do is post your favorite drone shot to either Twitter, Instagram or TikTok using the Hashtag #DJIImpossibleShot.
Enter by the 5th May 2021 to be in with a chance of winning.
Contest Terms & Conditions
1. Eligibility: The DJI Impossible Shot Challenge is open to legal residents of areas served by a store.dji.com official store.
2. Agreement to Rules: By entering the DJI Impossible Shot Challenge, the Entrant (“You”) agrees to abide by the Sponsor’s Official Rules and decisions, which are fully and unconditionally binding in all respects. The Sponsor reserve the right to refuse, withdraw, or disqualify any entry at any time at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. By entering this DJI Impossible Shot Challenge, the You represents and warrants that You are eligible to participate based on eligibility requirements explained in the Official Rules. You also agree to accept the decisions of the Sponsor as final and binding as it relates to the content of this DJI Impossible Shot Challenge.
3.DJI Impossible Shot Contest Entry Period: This promotion begins on 26.04.21 and ends on 05.05.21. To be eligible for the DJI Impossible Shot, entries must be received within the specified Entry Period.
4. How to Enter: Eligible entrants can enter The Impossible Shot Challenge by posting on Instagram, Twitter, or TikTok using the hashtag #DJIImpossibleShot, or replying to the official DJI Facebook post. As a participant, your entry must fully meet all DJI Impossible Shot Challenge requirements, as specified in the Official Rules, in order to be eligible to win a prize. Incomplete entries or those that do not adhere to the terms stated here will be disqualified at the Sponsor’s sole discretion.
5. Prizes: The Winner(s) of the DJI Impossible Shot Challenge (the “Winner”) will receive a DJI FPV unit. The actual/appraised prize value may differ at the time the prize is awarded. The prize(s) shall be determined solely by the Sponsor. There shall be no cash or other prize substitution permitted except at the Sponsor’s discretion. The prize is non-transferable. The Winner, upon acceptance of the prize, is solely responsible for all expenses related to the prize, including without limitation any and all local, state, and federal taxes. By accepting the prize, the selected winner grants permission for the Sponsor to use the Winner’s likeness, entry, and name for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation unless prohibited by law.
6. Rights Granted by You: By submitting an entry (e.g., text, video, photo, etc.) into this DJI Impossible Shot Challenge, you understand and agree that the Sponsor, any individual acting on the Sponsor’s behalf, and the licensee’s successors, and assigns of the Sponsor shall where permitted by law, have the right to print, publish, broadcast, distribute and use in any media known now or hereafter developed, in perpetuity, worldwide, and without limitation, your submission, name, photo, portrait, voice, likeness, image, statements about the DJI Impossible Shot Challenge, and your biographical information for news, publicity, advertising, promotional purposes, trade, information, and public relations without any further notice, review, consent, compensation, or remuneration. Entries must be original work and not violate anyone’s proprietary or intellectual property rights.
7. Terms & Conditions: In its sole discretion, the Sponsor reserves the right to modify, suspend, cancel, or terminate the [DJI Impossible Shot Challenge should non-authorized human intervention, a bug or virus, fraud, or other causes beyond the Sponsor’s control, impact or corrupt the security, fairness, proper conduct, or administration of the DJI Impossible Shot.
8. Limitation of Liability: Your entry into this DJI Impossible Shot Challenge constitutes Your agreement to release and hold harmless the Sponsor and its subsidiaries, representatives, affiliates, partners, advertising and promotion agencies, successors, agents, assigns, directors, employees, and officers against and from any and all claims, liability, illness, injury, death, litigation, loss, or damages that may occur, directly or indirectly from participation in the Impossible Shot Challenge and/or the 1) Winner accepting, possessing, using, or misusing of any awarded prize or any portion thereof; 2) any type of technical failure; 3) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, phone, or Internet service; 4) unauthorized intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; 5) electronic error or human error in the Promotion administration or the processing of entries.